Sunday, September 27, 2009

I botched up a friend's recipe....but the result was good!

A sweet friend of mine brought some awesome broccoli cheese soup to Community Bible Study last week. So to prepare for our church picnic today at the lake, I called her last night to get her recipe. She said it was easy and I had all the ingredients on hand (or so I thought!). So I dumped in the two cans of cream of chicken soup to the pot. Then headed to the fridge to pour in one and a half cans of milk. Hmm, I only had milk to fill HALF the can. So, I HAD to improvise. I ended up using a jar of white alfredo sauce. I went to the freezer and pulled out what I thought was frozen broccoli only to discover it was frozen spinach! (I had frozen lots of fresh veggies over the summer into clear ziploc bags). So I improvised (yet again!). Then I noticed the mixture was just WAY too thick, so I added a can of chicken broth. Then I felt it need some more texture, SO I peeled and chopped 5 potatoes. Hmm, needed a little color. So I chopped 8-10 baby carrots. Then I added 1/4 block of velveeta cheese because Anna and Abigail had eaten some sliced cheese and there wasn't enough left to put in 7-8 slices, Amy said should go into the pot. I let the crock pot simmer on low for about 6 hours during the night. I was really worried, I might have to pick up some chips on the way to the lake for fear that my "throw together soup" was going to be a flop- BUT to my surprise it was VERY good, and the girls LOVED it. It had SPINACH in it, and they LOVED it!!! They were even perched at the end of the table recommending "Mommy's soup" to all the church people passing through the line! They were a sight!

2 comments:

  1. I "create" recipes like this all the time! I always think I have things that I do not! I love this kind of cooking though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, I have recently watched Julia and Julia the cook movie! this blog topic reminds me of that movie! lol

    ReplyDelete